MISCELLANEOUS DEDUCTIONS NO LONGER DEDUCTIBLE
Although, in prior years, these deductions were subject to a 2% of adjusted gross income before any deductions were available, now they have been totally eliminated.
- Unreimbursed employee expenses – used frequently by teachers and other educators for expenses incurred on behalf of their classrooms. Also used by many others for unreimbursed business expenses.
- Union Dues
- Tax Preparation Fees – Still deductible on a Schedule C for small businesses for the portion of the fees applicable to the preparation of the business returns
- Investment management expenses
- Dues to professional societies
- Home office of an employee
- Job search fees
- Legal Fees
- Tools used for the job
- Work clothes and uniforms (doctors, nurses, police, other first responders and more)
- Work related education
- Repayment of $3,000 or less